Breaks Entitlement in Work - Irish Job News - News on Jobs for Ireland

Breaks Entitlement in Work

5 December 2006 | Ireland | 29 Responses by paul savage.

From : Work Solutions :

Your right to breaks are protected under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. After 4.5 hours of work you are entitled to 15 minutes break. If the hours are greater than 6 hours the entitlement is 30 minutes which can include the 15 minute break already referred to. Breaks are not considered ‘working time’ so your employer does not have to pay you for your break.

How many people actually adhere to these rules & regulations ? I’m sure there are some employers that actively make it difficult for their employees to take proper breaks. If you are one of these people, let us know !

1. Leo said on 15 Sep 2008 at 9:15 pm

I work in a local supermarket from 12.30pm to 8pm. I get one hour break. So I work 6.30hrs. Am I entitled to another break at all?

2. David said on 3 Dec 2008 at 5:59 pm

the 1 hour break is correct. if you start befor noon you would be entitled to a 15 min break

3. V LACEY said on 10 Dec 2008 at 3:41 pm

I WORK IN A BOOKIES. 42 HOURS A WEEK, I WORK ON MY OWN I GET NO BREAK. IS THAT RIGHT

4. ken said on 6 Feb 2009 at 1:29 pm

i work from 830am to 545pm i get 15mins in the morning and 45 mins at 100pm and my pay slip says iam working 39 hours iam i working to many hours

5. Sinead said on 23 Apr 2009 at 10:30 am

I work evenings in a gym, I cover 39 hours every week, 7 hrs two evenings, 6 hrs 2 evening and 10 hours one evening. Also sat i work 12 to 5. I dont get a break at all? Am I entitled to time off?

6. Deeve said on 8 May 2009 at 9:53 pm

I work at Eli lilly, I get a 1 hour lunch, but no breaks… and I want to go smoke, wussup with that.

7. Elaine said on 25 May 2009 at 2:04 pm

my husband works 12-13 hours shifts in a pub. he is a chef. He is not allowed to go home for his hour break. (which is the only one he gets) is this right

8. ellie said on 8 Jun 2009 at 1:31 am

I am 19 i work 48 to 56 hour week. 8 hrs a day with no breaks at all.. problem is alot of forrign employees afraid to complain.. id say nothing can be done!

9. breda fennessy said on 13 Jul 2009 at 6:27 pm

IF WE WORK A TWELVE AND HALF HOUR SHIFT, WHAT PAID ENTITLEMENT ARE WE ENTITLED TO? ALSO WHAT BREAK ARE WE ENTITLED TO UNPAID

10. andrea said on 12 Sep 2009 at 12:07 pm

im working in coffee shop, sometimes im working alone without break, because there is no chance have a break and my employer take my money for 30 mins break anyway and im working only 6 hrs per day so thats mean just 15 mins break per shift. Why thay take money for 30mins???

11. Agatha said on 21 Sep 2009 at 9:58 pm

im working in a nursing home. 8 am to 8 pm. How long break i should have?

12. Col said on 1 Oct 2009 at 9:08 pm

I work 8 hours and dont get a break at all, what can i do??

13. Dan said on 24 Oct 2009 at 11:19 am

I work a ten hour shift from from 17.00 to 03.00 and I get a paid 15 min break & a 30 min unpaid break, but because I’m working past midnight should I be entitled to a third break?

14. vincnent said on 18 Nov 2009 at 3:57 pm

if u work a 12 hour shift are u entitlted to a 3rd break?

15. padraig said on 23 Nov 2009 at 12:32 am

i work for advance pitstop. my hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm. what are my break entitlements. my manager makes it impossible to take breaks at all. what rights do we have

16. Lesleyanne said on 18 Jan 2010 at 6:24 pm

I work from 9.30am to 6.30pm most days and only get an hour break, half an hour of which is paid. Am i entitled to another 15min break and if so where do i find information to back this up?

17. john said on 2 Mar 2010 at 8:21 am

im 19 and working a constant 54 hour week and DONT get a break. employer will not negociate time off for me. what can i do??

18. Admin said on 2 Jul 2010 at 9:08 pm

Leave you job and Join the Dole Q.You can have a long break John,You Lazy Spd.

19. Elizabeth said on 17 Jul 2010 at 1:25 pm

I work for Aldi. most days I work 8 hours a day (7am-3pm/2pm-10pm) But there aso shift which over 10,12 or 13 hours. If we work 8 hours we get half an hour break (paid) if we work more then 9 than we get half an hour paid and half an hour unpaid. Is that correct for a whole day shift?

20. andrew said on 2 Aug 2010 at 9:17 pm

hi i work 9am to 6pm monday to friday and 6am to 2pm on a saturday. i am just wondering wat my break entitalments are? and if saturday is classed as overtime and what rates are giving for overtime?

21. Dick Shanahan said on 8 Sep 2010 at 9:16 pm

If the employee wants to take a break of 15 minutes only within his 8 hour working is this ok if the employer agrees

22. Gráinne said on 10 Sep 2010 at 9:04 am

How many hours do you have to work in a day to be entitled to an hour break ?? I start before 9am and sometimes don’t finish till after 6pm, thanks.

23. Mr Know It All said on 5 Oct 2010 at 8:15 pm

This is confusing.. who is supposed to reply?

24. thomas said on 17 Nov 2010 at 10:20 am

can you divided your huor break?eg…a i5min and a 45min

25. Louise said on 5 Apr 2011 at 11:34 pm

I work in a hair salon 8.5hrs per day – lucky to get a break sometimes – what break am I entitled too?

26. alma lapat javier said on 1 Jul 2011 at 8:58 am

we are working 8 hrs a day, are we entitled
    to 30 minutes breaktime in the morning and in the afternoon?

27. Johnald said on 7 Mar 2012 at 1:59 pm

i WORK 9-5 AND GET A 30 MIN LUNCH IS THAT CORRECT? I live in ireland

28. Fiona said on 5 Feb 2013 at 1:47 pm

I work in a Hotel for free but they never outlined my break times. I sometimes only get one half hour over 8 hours from 3.00pm-11.00pm and same for day shift I am not getting my breaks. What is the right breaks?

29. Fiona said on 5 Feb 2013 at 1:48 pm

I have no say only if I push it myself and I just work 2 days late/early for free to get the experience.