Holiday Pay in Ireland - Irish Job News - News on Jobs for Ireland

Holiday Pay in Ireland

16 July 2007 | Ireland | 136 Responses by paul savage.

Here is a quick run down of what you are entitled to with regards to holiday pay in Ireland (officially known as annual leave). Hopefully this guide will remove some of the myths regarding holiday pay. This information has been brought to you in association with citizensinformation.ie.

Calculating Holiday Pay

There are three different ways of calculating your annual leave entitlement:

1. Based on the employee’s working hours during what is called the leave year, which runs from April to March. An employee who has worked at least 1,365 hours in the leave year (that is, an average working week of 26.25 hours) is entitled to the maximum of four weeks’ annual leave. Many employers use the calendar year (January-December) instead of the official leave year to calculate entitlement
  2. By allowing 1/3 of a working week for each calendar month in which the employee has worked at least 117 hours
  3. 8% of the hours worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 weeks

Notes

• An employee may use whichever of these methods gives the greater entitlement.
  • An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks’ annual leave.

Summer holiday

Taking annual leave Rules

It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken. In addition, annual leave should be taken within the appropriate leave year or with your consent, within six months of the relevant leave year. Further holding over (also known as carrying-over) of annual leave at your wish is a matter for agreement between you and your employer. So if you don’t take it you could loose out entirely.

1. emer said on 25 Sep 2007 at 12:07 pm

somebody please help me im so confused

2. paul savage said on 9 Oct 2007 at 8:16 am

hi emer, what exactly are you confused about ?

3. barry said on 27 Nov 2007 at 9:56 pm

im a part time employee.i work a 25 hour week .i started in the middle of august.am i entitled to any holiday pay for xmas

4. paul savage said on 29 Nov 2007 at 8:40 pm

Barry : If you have worked at least 40 hours in total in the five weeks preceding the public holiday (see below for the list of them) you are entitled to paid leave on the day or one of the following alternatives:

* A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    * An additional day of annual leave
    * An additional day’s pay
    * The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off

There are 9 public holidays in Ireland each year. Public holidays in Ireland :
    * New Year’s Day (1 January)
    * St. Patrick’s Day (17 March)
    * Easter Monday
    * First Monday in May, June, August
    * Last Monday in October
    * Christmas Day (25 December)
    * St. Stephen’s Day (26 December)

5. Georgina said on 11 Dec 2007 at 3:54 pm

I am a part time worker working 21 hours a week and have not taken all my holidays, am I entitled to be paid for a couple of holidays if my employer agrees or is this illegal?

6. paul savage said on 11 Dec 2007 at 4:04 pm

Hi Georgina,
    You could be entitled to holidays up to 8% of the hours worked this year, up to a maximum of 4 weeks.

7. oisin burke said on 15 Dec 2007 at 10:57 am

I work seven days a week. Is my maximum holiday entitlement still four weeks? Thanks Marie anne

8. Michael said on 20 Dec 2007 at 2:38 pm

I am a student who worked for a period of time full time hours and then when I started back in college; irregular hours (less than 20 per week, sometimes more). I did not have to pay tax as my credits covered me. However, am I entitled to holiday pay since I left this job. Is it simply 8% of all the hours I did, up to a maximum of 4 weeks?

9. Edmundas said on 2 Jan 2008 at 8:00 pm

Hello,
    I work 3 nights and 1 day for 12 hours.Employer says I am entitled to 160 hours annual leave,not to 4 weeks annual leave.So,if I take 4 days off,he pays me for 48 hours.It means I can take just 13,3 working days annual leave.Is employer right? Thank you.

10. aoife said on 10 Jan 2008 at 4:47 pm

hi i worked full time in the summer now i work 1 day a week(8 hours) i calculated that ive worked over 500 hours.i got 20 hours holiday pay. i thought i shud have got at least 40. is this right? thanks

11. SJC said on 22 Jan 2008 at 11:39 am

Hi. Does anyone know what action, if any, can be taken if an employer refuses to pay for holidays and overtime worked? Even if they have agreed that the money is due? Thanks.

12. ------------- said on 6 Feb 2008 at 1:55 pm

i work approx 22 hrs a wk have never gotten hol pay am there 2 yrs now am i entilted to it ??

13. posh said on 14 Feb 2008 at 12:44 pm

hie i just want to find out can holiday pay be taxed

14. Teresa said on 26 Feb 2008 at 3:31 pm

Hi I was just wondering if the calculation and entitlement of annual leave(holiday pay) applys to part time employees.

15. Bernie Bohan said on 27 Feb 2008 at 12:20 pm

Are all employees entitled to leave on the 14th March this year – ’08, since St. Patrick’s Day and Easter Sunday falls in the same week

16. corina said on 2 Mar 2008 at 3:15 am

Just started a new job on 4th of february 2008.I’m working 25 hours per week.I,d like to know when can i have a holiday this year and for how long? thanks corina

17. markie said on 19 Mar 2008 at 11:55 pm

if im on a scheduled day off work, by rota. and my day off is a public holiday, do i still get time in lieu for it or pay???

18. Dmitri said on 28 Mar 2008 at 3:44 pm

Hello! I have been working for 10 hours per week for about 10 month. Now i have left my job and my ex-employer informs me that i am not entitled for any holiday days to be paid. Is he right? Thank you!

19. paul savage said on 28 Mar 2008 at 5:04 pm

Dmitri : count the total number of hours you worked , look in your paychecks (i.e. 400), and you should be entitled to 8% of that, so in this case it would be 32 hours, or 4 days pay.

20. Dmitri said on 28 Mar 2008 at 5:24 pm

Thank you very much!

21. Dmitri said on 28 Mar 2008 at 7:53 pm

Another short question – if employer still refuses to repay my holidays, where should i be looking for help then?

22. caitriona taaffe said on 8 Apr 2008 at 3:53 pm

i got paid 8% of my hours between august till november .since novwmber i have not recieved holiday pay and i ‘ve left three weeks ago and now they are telling me i’m not entitled to holiday pay and that they overpaid me already back in november .but i was working full time hours between august and november. am i entitled to anymore holiday pay.

23. Brian said on 15 Apr 2008 at 2:10 am

I recently left a job after my probation period of 3 months, am I entitled to holiday pay?

24. Derek said on 1 May 2008 at 3:56 pm

I have been working for 3 months and two days, working around 100+ hrs a month, im leaving my job, was wondering was i entitled to holiday pay?

25. Paul said on 20 May 2008 at 7:20 pm

Dear Paul, I have two part time jobs. One job gives me my holiday pay every month in my payslip without asking. I work 4 hours a week with my other part time job. I’ve worked a total of 96.5 hours from October 07-May 08. Am I entitled to ask for Holiday Pay?

26. Daniel said on 23 May 2008 at 6:26 pm

Hi, I’ve been working about 22 hrs a week from last september untill now, and I worked out that 8% of this is E633. Seeing as I’ve never taken holidays, am I entitled to this amount when I leave my job next week? Thanks a million.

27. Nikki said on 11 Jun 2008 at 1:05 pm

I started a job at the start of May, I am here until the end of November as I am covering for someone on maturnitu leave and I am working 31.5 hours per week. My employer has told me I am not entitled to any holidays, is this correct?

28. Aisling said on 24 Jun 2008 at 1:56 pm

Hi, i am working summer job for 8 weeks, am i entitled to holiday pay?

29. Jason said on 24 Jun 2008 at 9:48 pm

Hi there, I have been working in a sales job full time since dec of 07. It is strongly based on commission. I am wondering if I leave half way through the month but have hit my targets that I have been set to get my commission am I still entitled to it even though I have left only 2 weeks into the month? I am also wondering if I am entitled to holiday pay for my summer months? I have already taken my spring week but as I said I have been working there full time for just over 6 months. Thanks

30. Aisling said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:41 am

Hi, I recently left a job, but before I did, I had 4 days holidays. I was only a part time worker for a year, but am I entitled to holiday pay? I didn’t get any.

31. James said on 3 Jul 2008 at 4:50 pm

Hi Paul Savage,
    Could you answer some of the queries above. Be much appreciated.
    J

32. paul savage said on 3 Jul 2008 at 4:57 pm

James : Sure !
    Aisling : yes you should be entitled to these paid days.
    Jason / Aisling : everyone is entitled to paid holidays. As for commission, this would depend on how it’s worded in your contract.
    Nikki/Paul/Daniel/Derek/Brian : in every job you are entitled to holiday pay.

33. Aisling said on 3 Jul 2008 at 6:18 pm

Ok so I am entitled to these days, I told the employers this, but they said that you have to work a certain number of hours per week, is that true? If not, how do I go about getting my money? I only worked one day per week. Thanks

34. Luckyleg said on 9 Jul 2008 at 8:00 pm

Hi. I’m working a full time job, 39hours a week. I took one month unpaid holiday this year. When I back, after 6 weeks leter on I took a 2 days holiday. My employer paid me for that days lower rate, and he explained that my holidays, also bank holidays are average of 13 weeks previous wages before 2days I took. Is it correct? Thanks

35. Julie said on 17 Jul 2008 at 5:58 pm

Heya Paul, Im currently on holidays and am going to be getting holiday pay, but Im a bit confused about what Im entitled to.

I started my holidays this working week (Monday 14th) and it will end on Sunday August 2nd, this is three working weeks. I’ve just recieved my payslip by email for this week, and the amount of holiday pay I’ve gotten is 8% of the hours I’ve worked since January 1st 2008. Is this correct? Or should it be 8% of hours worked between January 07- December 07?

My other question is, Im on holidays for three weeks, am I supposed to recieve holiday pay every week that Im away from work? Like, for this first week of my holiday I’ve recieved 460 euro, is this the full amount of my holiday pay or do I get 460 x 3 totaling 1380 euro for the three weeks? I just want to make sure I know what Im entitled to.

Thanks a million!

36. Samantha said on 4 Aug 2008 at 9:28 pm

hi im just wondering should i be taxed alot of money on holiday pay. i got 2 weeks wages and was taxed alot of money is this right

37. Claire said on 21 Aug 2008 at 10:42 pm

hi i left my job as an apprentice working 31 hours a week. I only officially started my apprentice in january but have been working there 2 years this month. Am i entitled to holiday pay now i hve left?

38. paul savage said on 21 Aug 2008 at 11:09 pm

Claire : See point 3 : 8% of the hours worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 weeks
    Samantha : holiday pay is like any other wages, and is taxed accordingly.
    Julie: your employed can pay your holiday pay whenever they want, as far as I know. Most do it before you go on holidays. Your current employer will give your holiday pay for what you’ve worked at your current job, previous holiday pay should be paid by a previous employer.

39. Bernard said on 9 Sep 2008 at 3:38 pm

My employer, hasnt paid me holiday pay in two years i work summers and christmas with him.I have no contract but pay tax.He says because i dont work throughout the year that i am seasonal, casual , or relief or something like that but not part time so he says he doesnt have to pay me holiday pay.Is he correct?

40. G said on 20 Sep 2008 at 1:29 am

ive handed in my notice and am due to start a new job next week but i had paid hols at the start of july and im wondering will i still be entitled to holiday pay when i leave.i have worked a minimum of 19.5 hours a week since then,i get paid like 9 euro an hour how much should i be getting?

41. G said on 20 Sep 2008 at 1:30 am

oh and i was due to get my hols at start of oct 2nd week in oct actually

42. rita said on 23 Sep 2008 at 7:14 pm

i am due to go on maternity leave in december. i have had e few certified sick weeks. am i still entitled to my annual holidays.i have been full time in this job for 10 years

43. Denise said on 26 Sep 2008 at 9:38 am

I work on a contract basis and provide Invoices to a company each month. I presume I am self-employed and therefore not entitled to holiday pay?

44. Amy said on 8 Oct 2008 at 4:36 pm

can someone please help me.. i need to know how many days holidays are full time and part time staff entitled to before/after october 2008.
    someone told me dat i was entitled to more holiday entitlement than i was recieving. thnks

45. mary kane said on 15 Oct 2008 at 1:57 pm

hi i was working full time for 3 years then in sep i went part time i am now leaving my job and they are trying to say i owe them €700 euro is this right

46. Marian said on 3 Nov 2008 at 4:46 pm

hi I was working full time for the summer as a waitress (40+ hrs p/w) at the end of august i took some days off before returning to college, since then i havent been working. I’m wondering am I entitled to holiday pay for the 3 months I worked therr?

47. Lorna said on 4 Nov 2008 at 4:32 pm

Hi paul, ive had my part- time jobs since may 2007. ive never gotten holiday pay. am i entitled to my holiday pay from then until now? and can i just ask for it? also how is it calculated?

48. john said on 4 Nov 2008 at 7:50 pm

hi. i recently left my job and was on a fixed salary. i was due 6.66 days holiday pay and this was paid using a calculation by dividing my annual salary by 365 days and multipling by 6.66.
    is this correct as i only work five days a week

49. Aoife said on 11 Nov 2008 at 10:03 am

please please help, very unsure who to turn to and ask. I work min of 24 hours and max of 32. Dont get paid for bank holidays as days are irregular is that correct?? what am i entited to for Christmas?Office closes for two weeks, if i dont get paid can i claim the dole for the two weeks?

50. jodie said on 9 Dec 2008 at 5:28 pm

hi im a student and i work with a healthcare agency. some weeks i dont work at all and others i could work 25+. am i still entitled to holoday pay?? and is it 8% of what i earn??

51. Niamh said on 11 Dec 2008 at 1:09 am

Not sure that I’m going to get a reply here, the replies seem scarce! Anyway, I will have worked a full year with just 3 days paid leave taken other than National Holidays, by the end of December. I am being made redundant at this time – I actually finish working on Friday 19th December, then have national & paid holidays totalling 8 days, bringing me up to Dec 31st. I am due a further 17 days holiday pay, but don’t know if this comes out of January, even though I will be officially redundant by then. Hope someone can help; this query isn’t answered by the revenue’s literature.

52. eugene said on 19 Dec 2008 at 11:02 pm

i work 40 hours a week for d last 8 years what holidays am i entitled to every year

53. richeal said on 20 Dec 2008 at 2:06 am

i started my job in september and i’m working 26-28 hours a week. am i entitled to any paid holidays? i’m there 4 months now

54. Damien Lawlor said on 29 Dec 2008 at 4:59 pm

i work monday to friday 9 till 6 and saturday half 9 till 4 with a hour for lunch break can u tell me what holdidays i am entitled to?? i earn a basic wage and commission on top does this matter

55. Caroline said on 30 Dec 2008 at 4:30 pm

i put us in for 2 weeks holiday at christmas, i only realised now. i know this is incorrect but what can i do about it,

56. Janis said on 5 Jan 2009 at 7:29 pm

i’m working in a company from 1 july of 2008. i’m working a price work not hour work. actually, it is about 60 hour working week or more, but nobody is calculating them.
    is it ok, that going on holidays on 20th of december for 2 weeks i got just 700 euro?

57. S said on 10 Jan 2009 at 3:45 pm

I’m a student and have been working irregular hours throughout the year!I have amounted to 17/18 weeks work paid for and have earned almost 6000 euro in this time!Can you email and let me know if i’m entitled to any holiday pay? Thanks!

58. louise said on 12 Jan 2009 at 11:43 am

hi paul, i have been working between 24 to 30 hours per week since the start of september. i am just wondering would i be entitled to get holiday pay as im being let go as its too quiet to keep me on.

59. kit said on 17 Jan 2009 at 9:40 pm

hey i have being told that my holiday hours are being calculated for this year from last year i all thought it was hours you work up in the year your in to make up your holiday hours.and aslo i was on some sick leave with doctors and have being to i owe them hours and was not paid for holidays last year because of this is this right???

60. inese said on 4 Feb 2009 at 12:44 am

hi..i start to work on march last year..i went for holiday on january for 13days..they paid me hol money for 5days and for 25 hours….before till september they paid me 350 every week,,from september i start to get paid hourly…how many i should get for hol money..

61. Aislinn said on 19 Feb 2009 at 10:02 pm

hi, I started my job on January 7th and work 20 hours a week. I am just wondering am I entitled to holiday pay when we close for two weeks at Easter on April 3rd and how would I calculate it? Thank you

62. Ronan said on 24 Feb 2009 at 12:36 am

hi paul, I think you need a holiday by the looks of it! I work 32.5 hours per week for 40 weeks of the year as I do not work while my kids are on school holidays. I earn 325 per week. What would my entitlements be to holiday pay. Thanks

63. Ronan said on 24 Feb 2009 at 9:19 am

Paul I have my answer from your guide lines above thanks

64. paul savage said on 24 Feb 2009 at 9:23 am

@Ronan : Glad you got it sorted .

Others : There is a simple formula for calculating these, please re read the post and follow the steps.

65. Aislinn said on 24 Feb 2009 at 8:37 pm

I’ve been working in my job for 2 months now. I work 20 hours a week in a Montessori school so we have two weeks holidays at Easter. My employer has said my holiday pay is worked out by saying I get 1.6 days pay for every month I’ve worked. Someone else has told me the figure is 1.83 days for every month worked. Is this another acceptible method of calculating holiday pay anf if yes what is the correct figure?

66. Jill said on 5 Apr 2009 at 11:25 am

Hi,I went back to work part-time last Aug – I work 8-12 hours per week. The companys year end is January. I took a week off last Nov but didn’t get holiday pay, wasn’t too bothered as I thought as I am on the 8% holiday pay that I would have been paid my accumulated holiday pay at the end of Jan (I know some companies pay this on a monthly or weekly basis). I wasn’t. Now I think the companys policy is that all hols not taken are lost. This isn’t in my contract, should the company have told me of this prior to year end and given me the opportunity to take hols? Should I have been paid my accumulated hols at end Jan? I don’t know what to do but want to know where I stand before taking it up with the company.
    Regards,
    Jill

67. Wendy said on 4 May 2009 at 9:01 pm

I am working 25 hours a week for seven months am I entilted to holiday pay and how much.

68. Patrick C said on 6 May 2009 at 2:05 am

Hi. I am a 20 years old with lots of experience at mu job. I would like to know…
    Does Holiday pay apply to people working in Hospitality!!?? I get paid the minimum wage on St. Patrick’s day, New Year’s Eve etc. It’s work behind the bar of a pub. My employer says i get paid the flat wage because “it’s the nature of the business” Is this true?

69. June said on 15 May 2009 at 10:47 am

Hi Paul Maybe you can answer this question for me can you tell me why bank holidays for casual employees can be calculated over 13 week period?

70. Leahy said on 19 May 2009 at 3:09 pm

HI Paul, I work full time at 37.5 hrs a week, im here a yr on the 18th of June, and taking my holidays on the 1st of June 09,i took a week in November 08 and got a normal weeks pay for that week, was that correct??? Im not quiet sure, i also work part time about 15 – 20hrs a wk, im there a yr and 4 months and only took the week in November 08 as holidays, i asked that employer back then was i entitled to holiday pay, he said NO as i was working 2 jobs and getten holiday pay from my full time job, i questioned him about it and i never got a straight answer?!

71. Ciaran said on 26 May 2009 at 6:50 pm

i have been employed for 21 months and have just got laid off what am i entitled toin regards to holiday pay

72. lee said on 29 May 2009 at 7:00 am

i am a part time staff 15 hours every week,this year when ask about my holiday pay, the employer said i do not have any holiday pays, because i am a part time staff, is it right ?

73. shane said on 13 Jun 2009 at 3:58 pm

Does the 8% apply only to basic hours or does it include overtime (and sunday premium for part-time)hours?

74. franziska said on 19 Jun 2009 at 12:30 pm

Hi Paul..
    My boss give me back the full time job now..but he said he will only give half week holiday pay to me only now every 3 months…I think that is not right…where can I look for help?

75. niall nevin said on 20 Jun 2009 at 7:29 pm

didn’t get paid any holiday pay for the last six years or get paid for any bank holidays,been made redundant now can i look for the holiday pay that i’m owed

76. sinead kane said on 24 Jun 2009 at 7:38 pm

hi im workig casual parttime and my employer refuses to pay me holiday pay but expects me to cover the rest of the staffs holiday hours!i have been working there for a year now this month.. have worked bankholidays and only got paid my usual hourly rate when other staff get double pay??ive also worked alot of over time and covered sick days for the rest of d staff countless of times.. i know i am entitled to something i just i just dont know what??

77. shaz said on 30 Jun 2009 at 3:35 pm

I work 7 days a week 84+ hours, I’ve been doing this since 19th of march 09, am I entitled to holiday pay?

78. Sarah said on 4 Jul 2009 at 8:06 pm

i have entered a part time employment contract of a minimum of 4 hours per week, however i have worked at least 10+ hours per week since last september.

i have been informed that my holiday pay will only cover my contract hours, ie. that i will only be paid four hours for each of my four weeks annual leave… is this in accordance with employees entitlements????

79. Shane said on 14 Jul 2009 at 5:22 pm

Re 76 Sinead Kane:

Legally speaking as you’re there a year you can’t be classed as a casual employee but instead as part-time (unless its part of some ‘collective agreement’ set down by the Labour Court, which I very much doubt). Generally casual is where you’ve been working for less than 13 weeks. You’re definately entitled to holiday pay regardless of whether full or part-time. The legal basis for this is dealt with in Protection of Employees (part-time work) Act 2001 (“POEA 2001”). Section 9&10 of that Act make it clear that part-time employees cannot be treated differently to full time, save in limited circumstances such as pension and ‘objective circumstances’.

For holiday pay specifics see Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 (“OWTA 1997”).
    (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/sec0019.html#zza20y1997s19)

In general the easiest way to calculate holiday pay for part-timers is to get 8% of normal hours worked. The various other methods, all roughly equal, are set out in s.19 OWTA 1997.

Its important to note that employers do not legally have to pay extra for overtime but only a minimum of normal rate. Usually a JLC (joint labour committee) or REA (Registered employment agreement) will set out the minimum levels depending on your sector. For example the retail sector overtime is paid at time and a half and double on Sundays. However if your sunday hours are not overtime (to be classed as overtime the hours must be in excess of 39 already worked)
    , then an ‘unsocialable hours’ premium is paid at time and a third. Again this depends on your work sector.

Regarding bank holidays a part-time employee is entitled to the same holiday pay as full timers provided they have worked at least a combined 40 hours in the previous 5 weeks. There are a few different payment options, decided by the employer;
    ( a ) a paid day off on that day,

( b ) a paid day off within a month of that day,

( c ) an additional day of annual leave,

( d ) an additional day’s pay:

Generally a paid day is 8 hours for full time so part-time is usually dealt with on a pro-rata basis. If you normally work and did work, say, 6 hours then your holiday pay for that day is 6 hours in addition to your normal daily pay.

Hope this helps

Re 78: That sounds like nonsense. If its in the contract I’d imagine that contract is unenforceable

80. moe said on 19 Jul 2009 at 11:10 pm

i ve been working 40 hour weeks for 4 years,at the start of may 09 i was put on a 3 day week,taking 2 weeks holidays soon,should i get 10 days holiday pay or 6 days,thanks.

81. TIMMY said on 23 Jul 2009 at 12:57 am

I started working with my employer last year november on part-time basis.but i have only gone on one week holiday.but recently,i told him i have three weeks holiday still pending and he said to me i have just one week holiday left..that i am only entitled to two weeks holiday per year as a part time worker..pls help me,is this true ?

82. shirley brady said on 5 Aug 2009 at 8:51 am

my husband works for a farmer he gets 375 a week mon-fri every second weekend works sat and sun with no extra pay he doesnt get paid extra for bank hoildays or days in lue so could u tell me what hes min wage should be and how to cal his hoil pay thanks shirley

83. karen said on 5 Aug 2009 at 11:48 pm

hi, i work 28hrs a week monday to thursday, because i only work four days am i only entitled to 16 days thats four weeks?

84. josephine dunne said on 12 Oct 2009 at 12:08 pm

i work fulltime i was out sick from may to sept am i still entitled to my full yrs holiday leave

85. paul said on 7 Nov 2009 at 10:31 am

I had a 7 week contract 5 day a week got paid no holiday pay when contract finished . Should I have got 8% holiday pay and how do I go about getting it Please

86. paul said on 7 Nov 2009 at 10:32 am

87. Noel Murphy said on 29 Nov 2009 at 7:23 pm

I would like to know how many holiday i am entitled to, i work monday to friday 9am – 1pm 2pm – 5.30pm also every second saturday 10am to 1pm.

your sincerely,

Mr Noel Murphy.

88. Tony said on 2 Dec 2009 at 4:00 pm

hi
    as we’re coming to the end of the calendar year, i have almost 5 days holidays which i would like to carry over into 2010. i’m being told that holidays cannot be carried forward and will revert to zero on 31st December.
    Is it possible to receive pay en lieu as no holidays will be granted between now and year-end?
    What are the options available?

Tony

89. yonne said on 9 Dec 2009 at 2:06 am

i work different hours weekly 20-30 3=4 days a week what do i get for a bank holiday i have part contract f

90. Shane said on 23 Dec 2009 at 12:47 am

Re Yvonne

If you worked 40 hours combined in the previous 5 weeks to that bank holiday you are entitled to the same holiday pay treatment as a full time employee. You receive your daily rate plus 8 hours holiday pay (if you worked less than 8 on the bank holiday you receive that number eg. work 6 get paid 6)

91. Anna said on 7 Jan 2010 at 12:39 pm

im working flexible hours minimum 39 hours. I dontt have paid holiday but my employee was giving with last payslip 8% of my annual income. this year he gave me 3%. Am I entitled to get 8%? is there any law which is saying it?

92. edward said on 7 Jan 2010 at 12:45 pm

am a ghanaian who is at the polytechnic and would like to find a job in Ireland this holiday i.e may to september 2010. hope my application can be granted

93. pat feely said on 7 Jan 2010 at 9:39 pm

last year i took three weeks holidays, which was the last week in July and the first two weeks in august, my question is am i entitled to a extra days pay for the august bank holiday, which was the first monday in august

94. Pam said on 12 Jan 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hi, I was out sick from Oct to Dec retuned to work in January company Doc would not let me come back to work with a broken arm.. I am just wondering when am i entitled to take annual leave i’m looking to take 6 days off in Feb in which i will be back in work for 5 weeks at that time, does my employer have the right to say no on the basis that i was out sick????

95. john leonard said on 15 Jan 2010 at 10:10 am

I was put on a 3 day week recently,what are my holiday entitlements for the year?

96. Susana said on 27 Jan 2010 at 9:28 am

What’s the rate for holiday pay? E.g. I worked in 2009 for 14 euro per hour, I applyed for annual leave for 2009 in January 2010. From February 2010 my agency reduced the rate to 12 euro per hour. How much should I be payed for holiday then?

97. Shane said on 7 Feb 2010 at 8:49 pm

Re John Leonard:

Holiday pay should be paid according to the criteria above, the easiest being 8% of normal hours worked

Re Pat Feely:

If you’re full-time and the three weeks used up 15 days holidays then yes.

Re: Anna

Yes you’re entitled to 8% regardless of whether full-time or part time (up to a maximumum of four working weeks). The relevant law is set down in section 19 of the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997. See link:

98. michelle smith said on 2 Mar 2010 at 8:14 am

can someone please help me? i started a part time job at the beginning of november 2009 working 2 days p/w 15-16 hours. i asked my employer about holiday for the hours worked in 2009 and was told i was not entitled to h/p because i had to be employed for 13 weeks or more before i am entitled to holiday pay. surely this cant be right, please set me straight. thanks very much

99. lynda said on 2 Mar 2010 at 8:21 am

hi i was wonder if you can help me i started my job in july and worked nearly 40hours a week i have taken no holidays and have not got any money for bank holidays and xmas etc…
    i am taking four day holiday this week and asked my boss about holiday pay but he said i might not to able to get any money can you please help me find out how many days holiday im owed i thought it was like 2 weeks im owed

100. sue said on 25 Mar 2010 at 7:28 am

hi , I worked in a company more about 8 months. The working hrs was not fixed depending on season.I usually worked about 100-150 hrs per month. My manager promised i can enjoy 8hrs holiday pay when i was working every 1oo hrs. I quited my job on /about jan . 15 and my last working day was on 2/10. I signed the form asking for 2 wks holiday pay after my last working day. He promised I could get my 2 wk holiday pay for the salary of Feb .
    I left Ireland on end of Feb and will not be back in short time. Can i get the holiday pay for these 2 wks ? My fds told me if the form 45 is ready , i can’t enjoy the holiday pay i hv , is it true ?
    hope u can answer all the questions.

besides, I left dubin on Feb., can i ask my fd to help me appling the tax refund ? I hv the fomr 60 and I can get the form 45 later .

101. Mary said on 16 Apr 2010 at 1:55 am

hey could you pls help me..i was just wondering do people get extra pay holidays on top of what they are entitled to after working with a company for a number of years?

102. Simone said on 18 May 2010 at 8:54 am

My partner has just been told he is starting to work a 3 day week from 1st June. He is due to take a months holidays at the end of the month, which was to use his 20 annual leave days.
    If he has worked 5full months of 40 hours a week and then moves onto a 3 day week for the 3 weeks before his holiday, what is his holiday pay entitlement, will he only get 12 days (4 wks * 3 days) as that os what he was doing in the lead up?

Thanks

103. Ula said on 24 May 2010 at 9:02 pm

I have 39 hours contract. For evey public holiday I receive only 7 hours paid. Is it right?
    Thanks

104. nianh halligan said on 14 Jun 2010 at 8:12 pm

Hi there i work part time 8 hrs a day 3 days a week total 24 hrs. My employer is not agreeing that i am entitled to take 12 days annual leave in a year. Can you please tell me if i am calculating my annual leave correctly.

105. paul savage said on 14 Jun 2010 at 8:21 pm

Hi Niamh I think you calculations are right. 24 hours a week * 52 weeks a year = 1248 hours you work. 8% of 1248 = 99.84 hours which is 12.48 days a year or 1 day a month. Now your employer is entitled to have you earn the holidays before you can take them. How many days did you employer say you have ?

106. Em said on 21 Jun 2010 at 2:34 am

I’m sorry if this has been asked, but does your employer have to pay holiday pay for the previous year if you did not get any?

Ive worked part time since september, should I get anything for september ’09- end december’09 or do you forfeit holiday pay once the year ends? I have taken exam leave and a weekend or two unpaid since September. Thanks in advance

107. Joanne said on 2 Jul 2010 at 11:22 pm

Hi, I work full time as a nanny – 50 hours a week, can you please tell me what I am entitled to? I pay taxes do not get over time just the same rate if its over 50 hours. I get 20 days holidays which I must take when the family are away and all bank holidays. Thank you

108. christina said on 11 Jul 2010 at 10:40 pm

im working 20 hours a week, since november 09 and i want to know how many weeks in a year am i entitled to?

109. Helen said on 31 Jul 2010 at 4:44 pm

Hi I have a contract that is a 37.5hrs per week, it is a 5 over 7 day contract, i have 20 annual leave per year… I took 4 days holiday and have been told that that would class as a full week ie seven days holiday!!! is this right and where can I check this? Thanks

110. Helen said on 31 Jul 2010 at 4:46 pm

I have a 5 over 7 day contract of 37.5hrs per week, i took 4 days holiday and have now been told that would be classed as a full week 7days… is this right? where can I check this?

111. claire said on 3 Aug 2010 at 9:06 am

Hi there wonder if anyone can help. I have been working for 3 years and I am leaving at the end of this month. If I have holidays left or havent taken full holidays in the past am i entitled to anything? thanks

112. mike daly said on 18 Sep 2010 at 12:41 pm

they say that annual leave is 4 weeks thats great but what does that mean , i work thirty six hr a week but i was always paid twenty days by 8 hrs a year, which is forty hr a week for 4 weeks , this is based on an old system when people worked 5 days a week mon to fri 8 hr days , now my employer is trying to say now that i work thirty six hr a wk i only get 18 days by 8 hr a year …is this right , i taut most people that were full time gets a minimum twenty days by 8hr a year ???

113. Tanya said on 19 Oct 2010 at 10:56 am

Hi I Work full time i start two years ago, i am now been let go, i have took 15days holidays in the ear i have 5 left, am i entitled to get them because i worked over 1540 hours? need help as i am going in the 29th and they are not givin me holiday pay, i have been told different things

114. charlene said on 25 Oct 2010 at 12:06 am

Hi I work in retail,I work 40 hours in a five day period but my days can change in the 7 day period. What entitlements have I got for Bank holidays if I dont work that day ?
    Thanks in advance.

115. brett said on 8 Nov 2010 at 3:56 pm

Hello , i,m 44 years old and working 36 hours a week and work friday,satuarday and sunday i get 20 days holidays a year in cluding back holidays . my problem is that my company stop me having my holiday when i need them instead they shut down and use 18 days of my holiday . is this allowed and if it is why is it.

116. Shazney said on 2 Feb 2011 at 2:33 pm

Hi guys I’m not sure if I’ll get a reply but here goes, I work as a
    Maintenance carpenter in a refugee centre and we have recently been cut from 39 hours per week (8:30-5:00) to 32 hours per week (9:00-4:30 mon-thurs 9:00-1:00 fri) we have been told that our annual leave has been cut from 20 days per annum to 16 per annum. Can someone please clarify this for me?

117. pamela said on 5 Apr 2011 at 5:29 pm

hi i have been full~time for 8years and part~time for 2 1/2 at same job min 20hrs a week,when a bank holiday occurs i only receive 4 hours pay is this correct? thank you.

118. kevin said on 22 Apr 2011 at 8:10 am

hi im kevin im in construction and my hours have been cut to 25 a week what i want to know is am i entitled to easter holiday payi now i should be paid for easter monday but does good friday easter friday count also as its a church holiday?

thanks for your time

119. dez harney said on 6 May 2011 at 7:08 pm

hi my name is des.i was with my current employer for 3 years and i got laid off for a year but i am back with him since last july full time.i work min of 12 hours a day = 60+ hours a week as a truck driver.i am wondering how many weeks per year holidays i am intilted to as we use to only get 2 weeks in the summer and 1 week at xmas.i realy need to know as i am planing some hols thanks.

120. Chloe said on 13 Jul 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hi, are under 18’s entitled to holiday pay.

121. cloe said on 31 Jul 2011 at 9:46 am

122. cloe said on 31 Jul 2011 at 9:47 am

I am 17 and working for the last year and a half, and got no holiday leave. am i entitled to it? how should i say it to boss

123. shane said on 24 Aug 2011 at 6:52 pm

Re Dez Harney

You are entitled to max 4 weeks paid holidays leave in any given year (see s.19 Organisation of Working Time act 1997 – http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/sec0019.html#partiii

124. shane said on 24 Aug 2011 at 7:16 pm

RE Cloe:

What work do you do/ how many hours per week? Per s.2 of the Organisation of Working Time act 1997 an employee is defined as a person of ‘any age’ hence you have the same entitlements (see s.19 of the Act) as any other employee (max 4 weeks per year). If your employment is part time you’re entitled to 8% of normal hours worked for holiday pay.

Refer your employer to the relevant legislation (s.19 Organisation of Working Time act 1997).

125. shane said on 24 Aug 2011 at 7:26 pm

RE Kevin

You qualify for bank holiday entitlements if you have worked at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks prior to the bank holiday.

Good Friday does not count as a Bank holiday unless your employer treats it as such.

126. shane said on 24 Aug 2011 at 7:29 pm

Re Pamela

This is correct if you only work 20 hours a week. MAx bank holiday pay is 8 hours (based on a day’s pay for a week (40hrs) worked). On a pro rata basis 20/40 you are entitled to half of the 8.

127. shane said on 24 Aug 2011 at 7:58 pm

Re Shazney

This is incorrect unless the hour change constitutes a change in employment. In general if you work at least 1,365 hours in a year you are entitled to the full 20 days.

128. phil said on 5 Oct 2011 at 7:30 am

Bar staff working bank holidays. Are we due a day in lieu/time and a half/double pay and is it possible for an employer to waive this entitlement (if any) via employee contract?

129. Derege said on 15 Dec 2011 at 5:02 am

My holiday hours when I calculated by 8% 242 hours in one year because I workig around 60 Horus a weak. My question is did I have go get payment for 242 hours or only 4 weeks payment 156 hours only?

130. Kevin said on 20 Feb 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’ve been with my employer for 12 years and this year (and every year from now on) he wants to restrict my summer holidays (2 weeks) to a window of the last two weeks in July and the first two in August. He is not bringing this in for everyone in the company, just select people. As this window is high season for booking a holiday, the cost is practically double what I would normally pay. In the legislation it states the employer must take into account “the opportunities for rest and recreation available to the employee.” Do I have a case to argue that my employer is restricting my opportunity for rest and recreation as I will be unable to take my family on Holiday?

131. Les Walsh said on 21 Mar 2012 at 1:05 am

After 11 yrs service with my employer i am handing in my notice today 21/3/12,as i have to give 2 wks notice this makes my leaving date 4/4/12.Am i entitled to my annual leave plus my week in hand pay.

132. Craig said on 9 Jun 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’ve been working part time for over a year now and my employer wants to bring in that holiday pay not taken in the year may not be paid the year after. I was never offered to take holidays during the year gone so I could be paid this money. Using the pay calculator I am entitled to 600+ euros in holiday pay what are my legal rights and can he withold this money on me.

133. Brian said on 29 Jun 2012 at 4:51 pm

Hi Paul,

I’ve had a summer job for 4 months of the year, this year and last year, with no work in between. am i entitled to holiday hours? Thanks

134. Danilo said on 24 Aug 2012 at 4:21 pm

I’m working for 6 month…I have never taken holiday…If I Stop to work Should I receive for that holiday?

135. bob said on 14 Sep 2012 at 2:57 pm

I have def worked over 1365 since the start of jan this year i toke 2 weeks hols 3 months ago I left the job 2 weeks ago and they never payed me the other 2 weeks hols…?? i shoud defo have got payed i think can some one help..?

136. susan said on 18 Dec 2013 at 1:05 pm

I started work the end of July, covering maternity leave. I took a weeks holiday in August. Am I entitled to any pay over the Christmas holidays?