Minimum Wage set to increase in 2007 - Irish Job News - News on Jobs for Ireland

Minimum Wage set to increase in 2007

20 December 2006 | Ireland | 79 Responses by paul savage.

wad of notes

Sources this morning say the Government has yet to agree on the exact level and timing of the increase, but sources had indicated that it would be close to the Labour Court proposal.

This would bring the minimum wage for a 40-hour week from €306 up to €346 per week, or just under €18k/year. More information on Minimum Wage in Ireland can be found [here]

With the increasing cost of fuel and foods items in Ireland, it has to be a much needed improvement. Sure who doesn’t want more money for working, sadly the only reason it’s coming about is the pressure from the Government on employers. Maybe the Government are getting worried about the up coming General Election in 2007.

Let’s see how businesses like McDonalds and Dunnes Stores deal with the increase, who are known for using younger workers for minimum wage. Maybe they will move to strict policy of only hiring people who are in their first year of work after the age of 18 (these people get 80% of min. wage) or under 18 years old (they get 70% of min wage).
Hopefully the increase will help to get rid of the post Christmas shopping bills !

Table of Minimum Wages for Ireland 2007

Age As of Jan 1st 2007 As of July 1st 2007
Under 18 €5.81 €6.06
Over 18 in first year of employment
since they turned 18
€6.64 €6.92
over 18 in second year of employment
since they turned 18
€7.47 €7.79

It may further be reduced by up to €7.73 a day if lodgings or food are provided as part of a job.

1. paul.savage said on 2 Jan 2007 at 11:47 am

a world wide overview of the spectrum of minimum wages can be found on Wikipedia, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage

2. a said on 28 Jan 2007 at 12:28 pm

i work in the restaurant industry and our boss has told us that there is a ‘loop hole’ and he’s not obliged to pay us the new minimum wage-how true is this?? please help! thanks

3. paul.savage said on 28 Jan 2007 at 1:57 pm

If you are over 18 and you have worked more than one year in the industry (i.e. you have experience) then you are entitled to get the minimum wage. i.e €8.30/hour. You can always contact your local employment office

4. a said on 28 Jan 2007 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for your help Paul, I am 21 and have been employed part-time in this job for almost 4 years on and off. He’s adamant that we don’t qualify for minumum wage as we havent been ‘continuously’ working for him for two years straight.
    Can you recommend any further steps for us to take? Thanks, A.

5. marty said on 28 Jan 2007 at 6:53 pm

hi a,

I’m no lawyer but you could probably contact someone in the local tax office.

Here is some info from The Citizen Advice Buro [here]

Tom Johnson House

Haddington Road
    Dublin 4
    Dublin
    Ireland
    Tel:+353 (0)1 6136700
    Locall: 1890 220227
    Homepage: here
    Email: rightscomm@lrc.ie

6. a said on 28 Jan 2007 at 6:56 pm

Cheers Marty, yes I sent them an email this morning so it will be interesting to see what comes back. Thanks again, Anna

7. sarah said on 2 Feb 2007 at 4:30 pm

if i leave my job and have holidays owed to me and i leave without any notice in other words walk out am i still entitled to my holiday pay

8. paul.savage said on 6 Feb 2007 at 9:07 am

sarah: I am not a lawyer, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

If you break your contract and don’t give notice you could be brought to court and sued for breach of contract. Your right to holiday pay should be separate and not effected. Either way it’s best to give notice. For more help register for our forums, see the link above.

9. vilma said on 22 May 2007 at 2:00 pm

hi,im Vilma. Could I ask, if when I came to work in restaurant, and my boss didn’t gave me any documents to sign ,that I’m working in this industry, no notice about how many ours i will get.one week I was getting 30 hours another 40 hours. 8,3 Euro per hour.no bank holidays paid,no holidays paid.till new year i was getting some white papers instead of pay slips.when I asked form p60 i get only after 2month. I was working there half year like this.then one day he told me that he don’t want me to work here any more,because I’m breaking too many things and from tomorrow I’m not working any more. He paid 2weeks holidays and 32 hours lieu.can i complain for anything ?

how to check if my taxes was paid properly ?

10. paul.savage said on 22 May 2007 at 2:05 pm

hello Vilma,
    I don’t know. €8.30 was above the min. wage. Do you have a contract with your boss ? How many hours did he promise you a week ? You should ask your boss for the reasons why he is firing you , and get them in writing. Then contact The Citizen Advice Buro, see post #5 for their details here.

To check if you are owed any tax back, I would contact these guys here Irish Tax Back.

All the best,
    paul

11. vilma said on 22 May 2007 at 4:22 pm

Thank you Paul.
    It’s vilma.

But When I started to work i get 8 euro per hour,just after new year I get 8,30.The reason why i’m angry is that I asked to sign a contract,but he didnt give me one.He said, here nobody has it.And he just promised me more hours.He didnt give me any warning nor writing,didn’t told me as well.Just last day said that i’m off.And as well wages was given to me in cash,i asked many times to send in my bank account,but he said that he can’t.

12. paul.savage said on 22 May 2007 at 7:22 pm

Vilma you need to contact the The Citizen Advice Buro, see post #5. The will help you and even give you free advise as what to do.

13. vilma said on 22 May 2007 at 7:46 pm

14. Kevin said on 24 May 2007 at 1:30 pm

When I taking holidays do we get holiday pay? is there any information that show how many hours of holidays get pay in a year? is there a limits of holidays pay per year?

15. paul.savage said on 24 May 2007 at 1:46 pm

kevin check here “holiday pay in ireland” , that should help you a little.
    regards,
    paul

16. Mairead said on 4 Jun 2007 at 7:29 pm

hey my name is mairead and im 16 and ive been working in the same place for a year now and i get 5.00 euro an hour! i asked for a raise but he said that he deduct’s insurance fee’s from our wage so really ye are getting enough money!!!!! is this right and sould i get more now that ive been there a year???thanks Mairead!!

17. paul.savage said on 4 Jun 2007 at 10:13 pm

Mairead : the absolute minimum you should be getting paid is €5.81 (and €6.06 from next month), if you are over 18 then it should be more. Re-read the table above.

18. Mairead said on 6 Jun 2007 at 4:39 pm

Thanks for that but he said he takes insurance charges out of our wage(aslo we dont no how much they are because we write our hours and he pays us cash-no payslip!) can he do that??
    Mairead.

19. paul.savage said on 6 Jun 2007 at 6:45 pm

You’re welcome. 🙂

In a word no. Get your parents to have a talk with your boss. He seems to be taking advantage of you. He can’t take operating costs from your wages ! I don’t pay my boss for the electricity I use when I have my computer on, it’s part of the costs of having an employee.
    Legally he must give you a pay slip.
    regards,
    paul

20. Rachel said on 12 Jun 2007 at 7:15 pm

I have been working in the same shop part-time for 2years now(jan 05-jan07) and i took time out from january to now to focus on the leaving cert but im going back next week and since january i have turned 18. Am i intitled to the minimum wage of €8.30 because i have two years experience or will it be less???

21. paul.savage said on 12 Jun 2007 at 7:52 pm

I don’t know where you got that figure, but it should be €7.79. Seeing as you are in you’re 2nd working year. Re read the article. 😀

Hope that helps!

22. Mary Ann said on 26 Jun 2007 at 3:14 pm

Hi, I am curious as to know when the increase from 8.30e to 8.65e min wage is being brought into effect?

23. paul.savage said on 26 Jun 2007 at 3:25 pm

It states in that article, July 1st. So if you are paid weekly/monthly it should appear in all earnings after July 1st.

24. Anika said on 2 Jul 2007 at 2:29 am

Hi, im just wondering my employer pays me every month for full time job. Could you tell me what is the minimum monhtly wages since january 2007 and what it will be since july 2007 please. Im working in the same indastry 7 years so i have enough experience. And my employer doesnt provide any food. Thank you

25. orlaith said on 22 Jul 2007 at 12:32 am

i started working in my local shop when i was 15 and was being paid 5.69 an hour but now im 16 n workin over 30 hours a week during the summer! what am i entitled to and whats the maximum hours a 16 yr old can work in a week?

26. paul.savage said on 22 Jul 2007 at 3:33 pm

Orlaith : You should be getting at least €6.06/hour. You are allowed to work 40 hours a week, but not earlier than 8am and later than 8pm.

27. Monika said on 17 Aug 2007 at 6:58 pm

Hi, could I ask how is it about paying on bank holiday? Because I´ve heard it should be double wage…I was workng on last bank holiday and I got hour wage just like usually 8.65 euro.

28. paul savage said on 22 Aug 2007 at 9:19 pm

Monika, please check “Working Bank Holidays” for your answer.

29. Sarah said on 13 Sep 2007 at 5:25 pm

hi i work in a supermarket on the tills im under 18 and i get 6.81 an hour is this right

30. paul savage said on 13 Sep 2007 at 5:28 pm

yes Sarah, if you are under 18, the min wages are €6.06. Have a look at the table again …

Paul

31. Mary said on 2 Oct 2007 at 10:12 pm

im 16,nearly 17 and i work in a shop.were paid €5.80 an hour.how do i say it to my boss about the wage increase he might fire me or somehing?

32. paul savage said on 3 Oct 2007 at 9:09 am

Mary :Well you should be earning €6.06 legally. I would approach your boss and ask him if he knows about the minimum wage. If he threatens to fire you, just mention that you will call the Ombudsman or someone like that on him.

33. anna said on 13 Oct 2007 at 1:56 am

hi i am a student who has had past experience in the role which i am just about to take a part time job in, can you tell me which min. wage this means i will be paid?

34. 2008 Tax Rises | Irish Job News - News on Jobs for Ireland said on 23 Oct 2007 at 8:25 pm

[…] Minimum Wage set to increase in 2007Irish Maternity Benefit & Parental LeaveIrish Green Card System AnnouncedGenzyme to add 52 Waterford Jobs3 Big Guns struggling (Intel/Motorola/Procter & Gamble) Translate : Search […]

35. aran said on 4 Nov 2007 at 7:23 am

Hi my name is aran
    I’ve been working in Fast Food Restaurant for nearly 6years being paid the minimum set wages by the law last year I asked my boss to pay me extra after 12 as i work during the summer time full time and when i am in college i work only weekends all night weekends from 7 to 4am or 5.30am being paid only on sat 1€ extra after 12 reaching up to 9.30 hours that night. after 12 am i entitled to at least more than 1€ extra pay?
    right now i get paid 11 after 12 only sat.
    thanks.

36. Jonathan said on 10 Nov 2007 at 12:17 pm

hi my name is Jonathan
    im 17 and i’ve been working nearly 5 months now and i worked a 5day week, one of which was a bank holiday and when i got my weekly pay i did not get and extra pay for working the bank holiday, is this right, or im i entitled to extra money.

37. paul savage said on 11 Nov 2007 at 10:50 am

Aran : Your employer doesn’t have to pay you anything extra for working after 12pm. As long as your are earning at least €7.79, then you are covered by employment law.

Jonathan : you are entitled to at least an extra day holiday. Read here

38. Fiona said on 15 Nov 2007 at 3:45 pm

Hi, I’ve been in my School Secretary job for over 3 years and I am still getting less than minimum wage. My Boss says there are no extra funds available. I am working the full 5 1/2 hour day and don’t get any lunch break. I am thinking of asking my boss if I can work fewer hours if there is no chance of a pay rise. Any advice?? Thanks.

39. paul savage said on 15 Nov 2007 at 3:56 pm

Fiona : simply put , your boss is breaking the law. The minimum wage agreement is not an optional thing for employers in Ireland, it’s the law ! Tell him that you know your rights, and that you will :
    A) Quit your job and seek another if you don’t get a pay rise
    and B) report him and claim the loss of earnings.

Since July this year you should have been getting €7.79/hour and since €7.47 since the start of the year. Work out how much your boss owes you, I’m sure it could be a nice bonus around Christmas !

Regards,
    Paul

40. simon said on 29 Nov 2007 at 8:07 pm

just wondering if you are still exempt from tax on minimum wage?

41. paul savage said on 29 Nov 2007 at 8:35 pm

Simon : on minimum wage you would earn over €16k a year. And yes you would have to pay some tax on this.

42. Marie said on 6 Dec 2007 at 1:07 pm

hi do you know if the min wage will change again this year –
    marie

43. paul savage said on 6 Dec 2007 at 1:19 pm

Marie : I wouldn’t hold my breath. In my opinion the level it is at is pretty much as good as it will get for the next few years, unless there is some crazy inflation. The cost on employers is already quite high. Remember that your wages is just one aspect of their costs of having you as an employee.

44. ANDREAS said on 27 Dec 2007 at 5:03 pm

HELLO I DID MY TRAINING IN GERMANY AS A SHOP ASISTEND FOR 3 YEARS AFTER THAT I AM UNEMPLOYED AND I WANT TO WORK IN IRELAND. MY QUESTION WILL I RECEIVE THE MINIMUM WAGE OF 8,30 OR LESS? I STARTET MY TRAINING IN THE AGE OF 19 NOW I AM 27 THANKS

45. paul savage said on 28 Dec 2007 at 1:58 pm

Andreas : you are be entitled to get at least minimum wage, because you have experience. Rates of employment depends on the industry, so other jobs might earn you more.

46. laura kearney said on 25 Jan 2008 at 7:07 pm

hi i have just started working in a pub – lounge girl. i am 15 years old and have never worked before therefore no experience. should i be paid 6.06. was there an increase again today . thanks laura.

47. paul savage said on 26 Jan 2008 at 12:40 am

Laura, the absolute minimum is €6.06. I don’t think there has been an increase since July 2007.

Personally I think it’s already quite high.

48. Krystian said on 22 Feb 2008 at 6:11 am

Hi im Krystian, could I ask how is it about paying on Night shifts and Sundys? I work almost in every nights and almost in every sundays in
    one of the top hotels in Limerick. I get €9,0 per hour, is this right, or im i entitled to extra money.I’ve heard something about premium for Sunday working

49. Donagh said on 27 Feb 2008 at 8:57 pm

Hi Krystian.
    If you ring the labour court during the day they will tell you. Currently your employer is breaking the law by paying what he is. He should be reported. Also for Sunday work you should be paid double pay. Night shift usually after 12am, then normally can be time and 1/4 the normal. go on to website either and go to http://www.entenp.ie. Here go to national employment rights authority.

One more note… It is in everybodies interest to also go to the website http://www.employmentrights.ie and all the information is available there to be viewed.

50. Krystian said on 3 Mar 2008 at 3:49 am

thanks a lot Donagh

51. alan kenyon said on 14 Mar 2008 at 9:36 am

I recently started work for a 600+ irish based company. The employment t + c’s state “may be a requirement to work longer hours if companies business necessitates this” at the moment this runs at 8+ hours a week on week – unpaid. can I say NO? surely this is wrong. Alan

52. Thomas Regan said on 15 Mar 2008 at 8:45 pm

i recently started work in a shop, im 16 and i am wondering what rate of pay should i get an hour,and also the rate of pay i should get on Saturdays and Sundays THOMAS

53. paul savage said on 25 Mar 2008 at 12:04 pm

Thomas : you are entitled to €6.06/hour and as for Sundays, you should get one of the following :
    * A reasonable allowance
    * A reasonable pay increase
    * Reasonable paid time off work
    As per this article. Hope that helps,
    Paul

54. amanda said on 21 Apr 2008 at 6:26 pm

hi i,m amanda i,ve got a 21 yrs old working for me.she work,s 35hours a week,she get,s bank holiaday off and 3 week,s off, off her choosing during the year.she just turned 21 on the 19th of feb and i would like to know how much the minimum wage is for her now?

55. Zuzana said on 9 May 2008 at 9:09 pm

i have a problem with my employer. I work for him 2,5 year. It is a 3 week das hi doest pay my. What can i do. Where can i ask for help. I have last payslip from january 2008 “give my last week 31.4.2008”

56. Lucy said on 15 May 2008 at 9:19 pm

Hi, im 16 years old and earning 6.50 (is this right?) an hour – cash in hand where I work part-time in a restauraunt/bar. I usually work there very late nights. Now i have been offered a full-time job in the summer, in a food shop. Is it wise for me to keep the two jobs? And is it possible to get 3 weeks off in August when wokring full-time? Id greatly appreciate a quick answer. Thank you

57. Graeme Coyne said on 24 May 2008 at 12:09 pm

hi im 18 and recently i started working as event security and im paid 9.20 p/h. This weekend im working 2 days from 8pm to 8am but im only paid normal rate(as mentioned)..should i be on more?like time and a half?Please help!!!

58. Kevin said on 5 Jun 2008 at 1:07 am

is it true that minimum wages increase to 9.35 euro per hour at june?~

59. rubie said on 23 Jun 2008 at 12:20 am

hi im 16 and have been working for around a month in a shop but im hoping to quit and take up a new offer.how do i go about it and do i have to give a two week notice?i have tryed to find info on it but it wont show up on google.sorry.x

60. rubie said on 23 Jun 2008 at 12:21 am

hi im 16 and have been working for around a month in a shop but im hoping to quit and take up a new offer.how do i go about it and do i have to give a two week notice?x

61. Michael Hayden said on 1 Aug 2008 at 4:35 pm

Rubie, if you’ve signed a contract it should say about notice required. The standard contracts I’ve seen state that no notice is neeed if you worked less thab 13 weeks. But to keep everyone sweet, give two weeks notice (if you want) in writing. The employer should give you a P45 (within those 2 weeks) which you will need for your next job. If this is an “under the table” deal then just tell your employer that you’ll be leaving as the whole situation is legally a minefield that your employer will want to avoid. Everyone has to be on contract and pay taxes and PRSI (if you earn enough). Good luck, MIKE

62. Michael Hayden said on 1 Aug 2008 at 4:38 pm

Kevin, the minimum wage increases are still a very hazy issue. They are being challenged (I believe). The increase to €9.35 will be/are applied to very specific job sectors such as Hotel and Catering and is not a blanket wage increase across all sectors.

63. Michael Hayden said on 1 Aug 2008 at 4:44 pm

Graeme Coyne, the pay rates are as stipulated on your contract. The number of hours a day does NOT necessarily mean an increase in the per hour rate. You ARE however entitled to an increased rate for working Sundays and Bank Holidays and the industry standard is about time and a half. This is NOT really legislated but is accepted in Labour Courts as a minimum when greivences are filed individually or by Unions. You are also entitled to 12 hours OFF in every 24. The only exceptions I can think of are if you are somehow under a “salary” clause whereby your annual wage factors in extras like time and a half for Sundays ect.

64. rubie said on 11 Aug 2008 at 10:11 pm

hi maria ere
    i was just wondering if after working in a privately run business for over a year if i was entitled to a riase. i am currently on 8.65 an hour. thanks

65. miriam said on 4 Sep 2008 at 1:40 pm

hi was just wondering my boss pays us time and a third on sundays!should it be double?also i hav been workin der 2 years had 2 years previous experience in the industry and im getting paid 7.79 i am 19!thank you

66. patrick doherty said on 6 Sep 2008 at 1:58 pm

i am 20 and i work in a bar this last 6 years and i get €9.33 an hour even on bank holidays sundays etc and only time i get extra is new years eve and was being told i now have to sign a contract and i asked about extra for bank holidays etc eg time and a half but they said they didnt have to as i was working in a bar and i wwas part time

67. aisling said on 19 Sep 2008 at 10:14 am

hey i am working in a restaurant and recently one of my tables left without paying. I was given a warning but told that next time the difference will be taken from my wages. I know that other employees have to pay for walkouts regularly. Is this legal?

68. Aleksandra said on 26 Mar 2009 at 1:23 pm

Hi,
    My name is Aleksandra,i am 21 and i will come this summer in Dublin.Because i am from Serbia and i will stay there just for 5 months i wondering how much they will pay me to work in some hotel?
    Many thanks…

69. Catrina Mathews said on 2 Apr 2009 at 4:00 pm

Hi there
    What is the minimum wage for a waitress for the year 2007 and the year 2008 with 1 year experience

70. Patrick C said on 6 May 2009 at 1:50 am

Hey patrick. I’m 20 too and have over 2 years experience working in a pub. I don’t know the actual law but i think your boss is right. They can get away with it because they say “it’s the nature of the business we work in!

71. eoghan said on 4 Jun 2009 at 4:48 pm

i hav been workin in a shop for two years now and im under 18. am i entitled to the adult minimum wage now ???

72. colm said on 18 Jun 2009 at 12:22 pm

i have worked in a newsagents for 13 months now.
    It was my first job and i was 18 when i started working there. They pay me €7 an hour. Am i entitled to earn 7.79 now regardless of how many hours i work there a week? it is usually 8 hours a week.

73. Criza salariului minim « CalarasiBlog said on 19 Jun 2009 at 12:53 pm

[…] in 2006 Before the end of the year, and the Dáil break for Christmas, the government is tipped to announce an increase in the minimum wage. The Labour Court recently recommended that the wage be increased from €7.65 an hour to €8.30 an hour on January 1 and to €8.65 an hour on July 1. […]

74. jef said on 22 Jul 2009 at 10:47 pm

hi my name is jeff i been working almost 4 year now in a local coffee shop here in cork i just want to know how much really will be my rate per hour.??/

75. David said on 18 Dec 2009 at 6:34 pm

HI my name David I been working on the farm almost 3 year. I just want to know how much is the minimum wage per hour?

76. lee said on 10 Jun 2010 at 5:27 am

is the minimum wage different if you work in a hotel?

77. paul savage said on 13 Jun 2010 at 8:47 pm

The minimum wage level is currently at €8.65 an hour. There is only a difference if your employer provides lodgings , which is possible when working at a hotel.

78. Roisin Quinn said on 10 Oct 2010 at 7:46 pm

hi I’ve been working for 2 and a half years in a small supermarket, I’ve just turned 19 and am being paid only 8 euro per hour, am I entitled to getting getting paid more and should I receive the money I was not paid back?

79. Samantha said on 30 Mar 2011 at 10:41 pm

hi i was wondering what is the minimum wage if working in a riding school full time.