Working on Bank Holidays - Irish Job News - News on Jobs for Ireland

Working on Bank Holidays

22 August 2007 | Ireland | 39 Responses by paul savage.

Often, there is confusing as to what you are entitled to if you work a bank holiday in Ireland. So here is the run down for you. If you have any questions do leave them below !

Entitlements For Bank Holidays

If you have worked at least 40 hours in total in the five weeks before the public holiday you are entitled to paid leave on the day or one of the following alternatives:

• A paid day off within a month of the publicholiday
  • An additional day of annual leave
  • An additional day’s pay
  • The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off

Summer holiday

Part-time employees who are entitled to public holiday leave, but are not due to work on that particular day should receive one-fifth of their weekly pay instead of the actual day’s leave. If a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work.

1. Jim Keegan said on 19 Nov 2007 at 11:45 pm

I work four days a week which comes to a 36 hour week. This is classed as full time employment. My employer allows me 16 days annual leave. He recently suggested I should only be getting paid for 80% of bank holidays in a year as I dont work a five day week. For example, if there are 10 public holidays in a year then he says I should only be paid for 8. This does not sound fair to me and I,m just wandering am I legally entitled to all public holiday pay?

2. Catherine Kelly said on 14 Mar 2008 at 11:55 am

The Citizens information Website is great for answering queries like yours they provide up to date legal documents that will answer your questions.To me-what your employer is suggesting sounds ridiculous.I had a similar problem with an old employer and found ‘citizens advice’ to be a great help.

3. Richie said on 27 Apr 2008 at 10:33 pm

Hey i work part time in a restaurant about 17 hours a week am i entitled to double pay on bank holidays last one i only got normal pay

4. paul savage said on 28 Apr 2008 at 1:17 pm

Richie the answer is written above, re read !

5. Martha said on 29 Apr 2008 at 10:33 pm

Im working for a full time(5 days a week)How much should I get payed for bank holiday

6. Marta said on 4 May 2008 at 10:03 pm

hey
    i work full time but mondays are my days off … so if theres Bank Holiday on monday should I get paid double or just get paid for that day and get a day off extra ?

7. Jessy said on 29 May 2008 at 9:31 am

Hey i work 26 hours a week but ive used three of my weeks holidays. i havent taken any hols or days off since march! and im leaving my job to go travelling. Am i entitled to any extra bonus pay before i leave? would i have worked up hols??

8. Stephen said on 30 May 2008 at 10:44 pm

I work full time 40+ hours a week.. Is it illigal to pay below double time on a bank holiday? Cause where i work everyone gets paid Time and a 1/3 on Sundays and bank holidays.

9. Ruud van der Hoeven said on 10 Jun 2008 at 10:25 pm

Believe it or not, my line manager decided not to pay me at all for working on a bank holiday, what to do now? It is really awkard as he says I am too senior hence the general rule should not apply to me. Similar for five days I worked on Saturdays; what to do?

10. jessica said on 11 Jun 2008 at 10:56 pm

hi.
    im looking for an answer to a question that i cannot find an answer to anywhere.
    I work full time, 5 days a week for a design company. i have worked the past 3 bank holidays because we were short staffed. i received time and a half on those days and was told that because i am a ull timer i will be receiving 3 paid days off in lieu also. as a full time member of staff am i automaically entitled to all irish public holidays paid off? could you list these days for me. and am i entitled ofr 3 days paid hols for the 3 bank holiday days i have worked.?
    many thanks, i have been searching for an answer to this forever!
    regards
    jess

11. Amanda said on 17 Jun 2008 at 10:28 am

hi,i work part-time in a restaurant which comes to about 20 hrs every wk…at minimum pay!!da restaurant is closed every monday…does dis mean i am only entitled to about €35 4da bank holiday???

12. kelly said on 24 Oct 2008 at 12:25 pm

Hi, i work 19 hours a week, and I have done for the past year and a half, but my employer said im not entitled to any holiday pay at all, and I have never recieved any, is this true?

13. fanny mcghee said on 27 Oct 2008 at 3:37 pm

bank hol mon now ….. hope you are not in work!!!
    The solution to your problem is to remain at home on those days for which you are not paid to work. If you insist on doing charity work you should pick a more worthy benificary!!!

14. gina said on 17 Dec 2008 at 12:54 pm

hi i am just enquiring if u work 3 days a week (24 hrs)how much holiday pay r u entitled to? i ust to work 40 hrs at the start of the year and in oct we went to 3 days.

15. Ann McCathy said on 4 May 2009 at 9:06 am

I was working full time until Christmas 2008. I am now working 2 days per week, one of which has normally been a Monday. Am I entitled to any pay in lieu for Bank Holidays.

16. casper023 said on 5 May 2009 at 9:39 pm

hi i work in a chipper in a wildlife park and we used to get double time on sunday nd tripple on bank holidays however a new company took over and they dont pay double on sundays and on bank holidays they only pay double to the people who were there with the last company but i left as i moved country for a few months and got my job back with them and they said unfortunatly i’m not entitled to double pay on bank holidays because i left and came back,i only work partime at 3 days a week but i often work 5 because it’s in a wildlife park so it depends on the weather it’s more of a seasonal job, i only work part time during the winter while is quite and gradully become full time again but i dont have a contract so could you please let me know your opinion on it thanks

17. Vytas said on 14 Jun 2009 at 11:07 pm

Your info is misleading in regard of part time employees. This should be inserted after first coma:…leave and have not worked for their employer at least 40 hours in total in the 5 weeks before the public holiday, but are not due…

18. chamar said on 18 Jun 2009 at 4:01 pm

hi..i work 10 hours a week..but i am not getting paid on time..i was supposed to be get paid every month but i have worked for about 1 month 17 days still i have not received my wages..ehat should i do?? the company always say i will pay u next day..

19. Vytas said on 25 Jun 2009 at 11:05 am

Sorry, but my comment(17) is wrong. Moral: Don’t express your opinion hurriedly.

20. j dunne said on 27 Sep 2009 at 8:24 pm

used to work five days a week now i work four days but the same amount of hrs 36 am i still entitled to my bank holidays off

21. martina said on 6 Oct 2009 at 8:41 pm

hi i work 4 days a week mon -thur 36 hrs a weeek .new years day fall s on a fri this year with this been a bank hol.do i get a extra day of

22. Margaret collins said on 4 Dec 2009 at 11:38 pm

I work full time, get normal pay for bank holidays. Am I entitled to an extra day off with pay,or am I entitled to extra pay for bank holiday

23. MARGARET P. said on 16 Dec 2009 at 12:10 am

HI,I WORK 3 DAYS PER WEEK. NOT SAT. OR SUN.. AS ST. STEPHENS DAY FALLS ON A SAT I AM GETTING ONE 5TH OF A DAYS PAY. THE SHOP IS OPEN ON THE BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY AND AS I USUALLY WORK MONDAYS I HAVE TO WORK AND AM BEING PAID AT THE NORMAL RATE. IS THIS CORRECT.

24. James b said on 15 Jan 2010 at 4:05 am

hi i started my shift at 7pm the day before a bank holiday and finished at 6am am i entitled to bank holiday pay?

25. Brian said on 17 Mar 2010 at 1:34 pm

I work part time in a shop.
    I used to work 20 hrs a week but that has now been cut and I work different hours every week.
    How can I calculate how much I should be paid for a bank holiday.
    The shop only opens Sunday hours on Bank holidays ie. 2-6 but normal hours 9-6 during the week

26. paddy b.. said on 22 Apr 2010 at 6:53 pm

Hi, i drive a truck for a large company, we dont get paid bank holiday pay. is this rite or wrong? and what can i do about it? without putting my head on the choppin block,

27. Agne said on 18 May 2010 at 3:41 pm

hey
    i work full time but sundays and mondays are my days off … so if theres Bank Holiday on monday should I get paid double or just get paid for that day and get a day off extra ?

28. yvonne said on 9 Aug 2010 at 4:02 pm

hi, i work 20hrs a week but im only working in this place 3&half months should i be getting paid for bank holidays if i normaly work on that day ??

29. ifka said on 12 Aug 2010 at 11:21 am

nearly everyone is entitled to be paid for bank holidays. Here is how it works:
    full time employee is automatically entitled to bank holiday pay. In case he/she is not scheduled to work on the day of bank holiday however he/she gets 1/5 of normal weekly pay.
    part time employee must work at least 40 hours in last 5 weeks to be entitled to bank holiday pay. If he/she works on the bank holiday he/she gets double pay. if he/she doesnt’ work he gets 1/5 of normal weekly pay.

30. Helena said on 17 Aug 2010 at 9:50 am

I work 2 days a week on Mon and Thurs. Am I entitled to pay on a bank holiday as I have to work on Tues and Thurs instead?

31. Stanka said on 10 Nov 2010 at 11:47 pm

I took a day of holiday on the bank holiday day, can anybody tell me whether I am entitled to get an extra pay or anything? Thanks.

32. Rhona Creaven said on 24 Nov 2010 at 1:49 pm

I work Wed Thurs and Fridays. What am I entitled to for the two Bank Holidays falling on the Mon and Tues at Christmastime?

33. sylvia o'hagan said on 19 Dec 2010 at 8:41 pm

i work 2 x 12 hour shifts a week normally sunday + monday or saturday + monday this year i am working on monday the 27th of december and monday the 3rd of january and have been told because we work a 7 day week in a nursing home we wont get paid any extra for these days even though they are supposed to be bank holidays

34. Patrick Hanly said on 7 Jan 2011 at 1:48 pm

I worked New Years day, but because the bank holiday fell on the following Monday my boss said that New Years day was a normal day. This means that the peoples that were home for the New Years benifits and the poor unfortunates that worked it get nothing. Surely this ca’nt be right is it

35. Vincent said on 22 Mar 2011 at 5:42 pm

Hi my self and some of mey co workers are been made redundant ,at present we are working our notice some are working more than others but my question is the people who finnish up on the 18TH of aprial and they have to work that day which is a monday are the entitled to be paid for the followin bank holiday (easter sunday ) which you get a bank holiday monday for .

36. Fiona said on 12 Apr 2011 at 7:33 pm

Hi I work full time in a retail shop and just wondering am I meant to be getting double time if I work on a public holiday thanks

37. nicholas said on 15 Jan 2013 at 7:49 pm

Hi i work 4 days a week with monday off should i get paid for bank hols

38. Kolli said on 30 Mar 2013 at 9:20 pm

I work 36hours/Week, 17thMarch(Sunday St. Patricks day) and 18thMarch is Bank Holiday. Usually my employer pays 1.3(i.e 11.5045) on sunday and double pay on bank Holiday, But this time They pay double pay on Sunday ie (8.65*2) and pays 8.65 on Bank Holiday Monday. This this right.

39. marie maher said on 3 Jan 2014 at 6:33 am

I work 40 hrs per week, wednesday and sunday are my days off. I worked xmas day (wednesday) and was off stevens day (thursday)I only got paid double time for xmas day, Am I right in assuming i should have got a days pay for stevens day? also i didnt work new years day as this fell on wednesday am i still entitled to a days pay? please reply straight forawrd as i understand about working hrs etc i just need a simple answer to show my employer. thank you